Skip to main content

Trader Joe's Organic High Fiber O's Cereal


I am not even going to try to address the people who are like, "What is this gross cereal? Are you 80?" If you are not interested in fiber, I don't know what to say to you. I don't hate you or anything, just, well, some of us need some fiber, OKAY?

Ingredients: organic whole grain wheat flour, organic wheat bran, organic evaporated cane sugar, organic oat fiber, sea salt, organic caramel color, natural vitamin E. Nutrition Blend: niacinamide, vitamin C, niacin, iron, zinc, vitamin B6, riboflavin, thiamin, folate, vitamin B12.

How does it taste?: The underlying assumption I (Shin Ae) have with a cereal like this is that taste is secondary. Maybe even tertiary. The point is 9 grams of fiber. Also, 6 grams of protein, which is nothing to shake a stick at when it comes to a breakfast cereal. (I am not even trying to use geriatric-themed sayings, it is just HAPPENING. SPONTANEOUSLY.) Anyway, how does it taste? You mean you still want to know? Okay. Uh. A little sweet, a little salty. Grainy. There's kind of a cornmeal-ish texture that I (Shin Ae) happen to like, but there is no cornmeal, so...that's magical, I guess. Rob says the texture is fine, and he doesn't mind it, but it's not a selling point for him. It tastes really green to us. I thought of cut grass drying in the sun, Rob thinks of an aquarium. I think there are also nuances of dog. Not dog meat (I've never eaten that)(that I know of), but like, dog smell. Yeah, I'm not in love. The funny thing is, a couple years ago, I couldn't get enough of this cereal, and I don't remember tasting grass or dog, so I feel like it has changed. Or I have. Maybe we both have (you can't see it, but I am giving the cereal a Significant Look).

What we love:
(1) Fiber
(2) Protein
(3) Organic-ness

What we don't really love:
(1) The taste

Oh, I almost forgot, here is a picture of the cereal. I kept the lighting dim because it was more romantic:

                                       

Cautions: It contains wheat. It was processed in a facility that also processes milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and soy.

Other dietary concerns: it is certified organic with that QAI symbol and with the USDA one. Also, there is a kosher symbol that says "dairy" under it. I hope you know what that means if you need to be kosher, because I am no help (that reminds me: can anyone clarify what these symbols mean for me?).

What can you do with this product?
(1) Eat it with milk.
(2) Eat it without milk.
(3) Smash it up and hide it in cookies.

Price:
$2.49 for 16 oz.

Have you tried this? Did it taste a bit like grass to you? Dog? Are we nuts?

Comments

  1. It tastes WONDERFUL, and their bean counters have discontinued it for weak sales instead of promoting it. I'll never shop at Trader Joe's again!! There is no other cereal to compare, just for taste, never mind nutrition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not discontinued I just bought a box last week. Fake news!

      Delete
    2. In it's on again off again affair with FiberO's, Trader Joe's has AGAIN discontinued the cereal. I see a pattern here over several years that may have more to do with manufacturer agreements or similar issue. I know of no other cereal that stays crisp the whole time I'm eating it until I finish the last spoonful.

      Delete
  2. I love this cereal for the same top 2 reasons you gave: 9 gm fiber and 6 gm protein. I don't dislike the taste, nor do I detect 'dog' or 'grass' flavours. I do greatly prefer it with plain lowfat soy milk over cows milk. Mostly because the soy milk takes *much* longer to make the O's too soft for my liking. It also tastes better to me. I really hope Trader Joe's didn't discontinue it because I really only went there to buy it - 6 boxes at a time. /sigh/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can I find this cereal, would LOVE to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favorite cereal and it has been missing from the shelves for MONTHS! Anyone know the deal?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Trader Joe's Cornichons

Today, especial for you, by Robert:      They're almost gone, because they rule.  These are Trader Joe's Cornichons!  They're tiny, French-style pickles.  Ingredients: Cucumbers, water, vinegar, salt, onions, mustard seeds, tarragon, garlic, pepper, flavor. How do they taste?:  They are quite crunchy and tart, with tarragon and mustard notes. What do we love?: (1) The crunch, the tart, the size, the utter deliciousness.  They offer more vinegar bite, and a decidedly different flavor profile than American, or Italian, pickled produce products.  If you need your pickles sweet, this is NOT your pickle, but if you're ready for something different, please enjoy! What do we not love?: (1) About a year and a half ago they disappeared, then returned with a new formula involving slightly less pickling spices, herbs=slightly higher sour content, relative to French pickle flavor.  They may now be too sour for the vinegar-averse.                               (2) (Shin Ae i

Trader Joe's Fruity Flakes, Various Flavors

Fruity Flakes. Something which does not look or taste like it sounds. We saw these in the store and really couldn't understand what in the world they were supposed to be. Never mind that there was a picture of them on the side of the box. We didn't see that at the time, so it did not exist. We were going on instinct that day. Anyway, the picture on the box doesn't really help you understand the NATURE of the Fruity Flake, in our opinion. Here is a better picture of MORE Fruity Flakes than are shown on the side of the box: Okay. There. So, hopefully you can see that these are basically chewy fruit snacks shaped like squares. We think the "flake" in the name is misleading. It made me (Shin Ae) think I was going to be eating something along the lines of fruit-flavored lichen, which, while interesting, sounded gross. These are decidedly NOT gross. Ingredients (Apple-Watermelon flavor): fruit (concentrated apple puree, apple juice concentrate, watermelon puree,